I am currently the Creative Director for Professional Litho in Minneapolis. I graduated from the University of Minnesota’s Graphic Design program in 2001. Since then, I have worked in a variety of roles within the design industry. My background includes experience with larger companies such as Best Buy, Thomson Reuters and Medtronic, to smaller family-owned businesses.
University of Minnesota
B.S Graphic Design
Minor in Photography
ProLitho Creative aka Professional Litho
Minneapolis, MN • 2013 - Present
- Lead through example with consistent work ethic, attitude, and professionalism, resulting in a more efficient processes, happier staff, better designs, and a successful department that takes pride in its work.
- Manage all aspects of media design and utilization, including content development, promotional strategies, budgetary considerations, and deadline adherence across all channels, including print, web, and interactive media. Streamlined processes lead to deeper and stronger collaboration with partners and clients.
- Partner with sales staff and other cross-functional teams to execute aspects of product development and niche positioning, participating heavily in all process stages – planning, development, design, and brand promotion.
- Research, screen, and strategically integrate various resources and partnerships to improve cost-benefit relationship and maximize client satisfaction.
- Provide graphic design solutions that are strategic, thoughtful, and elegant, in order to achieve maximum impact and communication goals. Coupled with a thorough understanding of production processes and best practices, provided a key differentiator for a majority of our clients.
Senior Art Director (Contract)
Mounds View, MN • 2013
- Oversaw development and implementation of branding, logo design and corporate communication strategies through tactical assessment and analysis of target markets and clients.
- Partnered with operations staff and other cross-functional teams as needed to execute aspects of product collateral development participating heavily in all process stages including conception, design and production.
- Addressed key client queries and resolved them in an expedited manner while communicating status updates across all teams.
- Acted as a liaison between clients, vendors, marketing consultants and other members of the executive management to ensure client satisfaction and timely implementation.
Eden Prairie, MN • 2010 - 2012
- Managed the Creative Services Department and the workflow of projects moving through our group while ensuring a high-level of design that was consistent with the brand style.
- Established new requisition processes that helped streamlined the communication process between the marcom team and the creative department.
- Developed strong relationships and delivered strategic creative solutions for marketing and
- brand stakeholders
- Designed, developed and managed the internal brand standards for Cambria and its subsidiaries marketing media, including print, photography, and interactive.
- Lead Photographer. Responsible for photographing, lighting, and staging of locations for use in marketing and tradeshow collateral.
Senior Art Director
Richfield, MN • 2008 - 2010
- Created and maintained the core Best Buy and Geek Squad brand identity and styles for print, web and video.
- Led the creative concept and creative review for the national and Spanish insert pages.
- Created strategy documents to guide design process and ensure alignment between Best Buy and its agency partners.
- Managed internal project teams to ensure store business concept, design strategy, brand identity executed to company standards.
- Directed in-house creative team of art directors, copywriters, production artists and freelancers.
- Presentation of brand strategy and rationale to internal departments.
- Acted as the IT liaison for Design Department and corporate IT to facilitate new software rollouts, software testing, and overall trouble shooting.
Implementation Project Manager
Golden Valley, MN • 2007 - 2008
- Responsible for the implementation of projects across all market segments for new business.
- Managed and executed implementation via interface with customers, channel partners, vendors, and internal stakeholders.
- Maintained project plans enabling others to track progress or implementation.
- Managed an implementation team to assure on-time completion.
Eagan, MN • 2005 - 2007
- Created advertisements, brochures, posters, trade-show graphics, logos, and direct mail.
- Managed outside vendors for print, web and photography assignments.
- Designed web graphics for the company’s external and internal web sites.
- Developed and managed the internship program for the Creative Services department.
- Assisted company’s IT department to troubleshoot computer issues for Apple users.
Park Tool Company
Art Director/Staff Photographer
St. Paul, MN • 2004 - 2005
- Produced and photographed the Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bike Repair, the company’s first instructional manual, with 233 pages and over 600 how-to photographs.
- Built and developed brand awareness through logo creation, public relations materials, and advertising campaigns.
- Photographed company products for both print and digital formats.
- Redeveloped the company’s website that included a renewed design and an updated backend user interface based on a database format.
Minnesota Monthly Publications
Minneapolis, MN • 2002 - 2004
- Designed, from concept to print custom, publications including Drinks Magazine, Meetings Magazine, Where Magazine and Land O’ Lakes cookbooks.
- Managed project budgets, billing, and payments for all vendors.
- Hired and directed photographers, illustrators, food stylists, prop stylists, and makeup artists.
- Created feature articles and departments sections for Minnesota Monthly and
Midwest Home & Garden.
- Mentor for University of Minnesota Mentor Program
- Judge for the Minnesota Magazine Publication Awards
- Gold, Silver and Bronze winner for the Minnesota Magazine Publication Awards
From LouAnn Haaf - Creative Director at Cambria
"I had the pleasure of working with Matt as his Creative Director at Cambria. He strives to excel at every level of every project that is assigned to him. From project management to design and the grinding tasks included in bringing a project to completion with the details that make it shine - Matt is without a doubt, the guy that will get it done. And done on time.”
From Laura Oaks - Marketing Manager at Cambria
"Matt is a true leader, capable of managing both time-sensitive projects and the people needed to get them done. He's a strong, effective communicator with exceptional attention to detail every step of the way."
From Hal Olson - Marketing Manager at Davisco
"Matt was relentless at getting the perfect photograph to convey accurate marketing messaging. Down to the very last detail, Matt ensured to get the best possible shot and was always willing to give creative insight and direction. He has a professional demeanor, as well as a highly intuitive ability to drive creative development. I would highly recommend Matt’s photography for any marketing imagery or creative initiative."
From Jodi Hoffman - Design Manger at Best Buy
"Matt is a creative with an incredible sense of style and vision. He has a sensibility and drive to design solutions that meet client objectives. Matt’s commitment to great design, his ability to grasp marketing strategy, and his aptitude for ideating with minimal direction allow him to be successful in any environment. His attention to detail and passion for the brand are two of Matt’s top strengths”
From John Duff - Copywriter at Best Buy
"I enjoyed working with Matt immensely. I told him years ago, he is a mover and a shaker, because he is a guy who gets things done and invigorates those around him with unique ideas and excitement. He has a very keen eye and a sixth sense when it comes to branding. When working on a project together, Matt has a way of getting the best work out of all parties involved; at the same time, he is always open to suggestions and input that make the final product as good as it can be. In and out of work, he is never to busy too help with whatever you need. Matt is also an incredible bowler and a great guy all around. I would give him my endorsement every time."